This page has moved to a new address.

Friday Feature with Meadowsweet Organics

Natural Kids: Friday Feature with Meadowsweet Organics

Friday, December 24, 2010

Friday Feature with Meadowsweet Organics

Today's interview is with a new member! Meet Laura, of Meadowsweet Organics. Enjoy!

Tell us little about yourself!

My name is Laura Harris and I live on the island portion of Newfoundland and Labrador (most easterly province of Canada) with my husband and two children ages 4 and 7.  After studying Visual Arts, French and Education in university I went on to teach full-time in the public school system. Once my husband and I started our family I decided to stay home to be with our children. During this time I have been able to once again nurture my creative side by taking up sewing, designing and crafting for children and by reflecting on and cherishing our home life through my blog,
MeadowsweetOrganics.blogspot.com.


What do you make and how long have you been creating?

I design and sew toys, accessories and clothing from organic cotton for children and have been doing so for about the past three years.

What inspires you?

My time at home with my children has been a real creative renewal for me. Children are so naturally creative and everything is such a wonder for them that you can’t help but feel inspired. It brings you back to that time when you didn’t feel any inhibitions, you just created for the pleasure that you got from it.


What got you started working with Organic Cotton?

A few years ago when I started to learn about the importance of eating organic and local for the health of our families and environment, I began to think in these terms about our clothing as well. When I
learned that cotton is one of the most heavily sprayed crops in the world, it seemed that going local and organic with our clothing would make a lot of sense as well. When I started to look for local and
organic clothing I became somewhat discouraged as I soon discovered (at that time) it simply did not exist. Then I discovered Harmony Art’s line of organic cotton fabrics. Her colorful and bold
nature-inspired designs immediately appealed to me and opened up the whole world of organic fabrics to me. I was so encouraged that there were people out that shared my concerns that it spurred me on to
finally take that bold step of teaching myself to sew.


How long have you been on Etsy and how has it been for you so far?

I began on Etsy in 2008 with my first shop, Handmade Naturals. Earlier this year I became Meadowsweet Organics. Etsy has been great for me as it has provided me with a creative outlet that fits in well with my stay-at-home lifestyle. I have also found so many artists and designers through Etsy that inspire me as well. I still see myself in development so no, I’m not making a living from my shop yet, but it is helping me to grow creatively and to interact with others about my
work.


What advice would you have for other Etsians?

Well, the good thing about Etsy is that it can fit into your life however you need it to. Honour your hard work by presenting it with beautiful photographs and value your time as well by not underpricing
your work. If you don’t value your time, no one else will either.


What do you hope to learn/gain/contribute from being part of the Natural Kids group?

Meeting and connecting with likeminded people is one of the main reasons I joined Natural Kids. Working from home on your own can at times be a little isolating so I think joining Natural Kids will help open up a new world for me in that way. Perhaps I can provide some insight with the experiences I’ve had, and I hope to gain that from others as well.


What thoughts do you have for parents on the importance of natural toys for creative play?

I think that children are naturally creative, we just have to provide them the time and the space to play that out. Opt for open ended play when you can as opposed to prescribed play. As for the importance of natural toys, they are just so much safer for our children and help to an appreciation of our natural environment. I think this appreciation helps to make us more grounded and happier as people. I
can not think of a better gift to give a child.


Your links?


Thank you, Laura!
Today's interview was by Kat, of kats in the belfry.

Labels: , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home