This page has moved to a new address.

Making an I-spy Jar.

Natural Kids: Making an I-spy Jar.

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Making an I-spy Jar.

Hello to all you magically creative minds. I'm Donni, from Fairyfolk. My blog is The Magic Onions.

Have you ever made an I-spy Jar?


It's great fun and a fabulous thing for your little ones to take with them in the car. It'll keep them occupied for ages!
Here is my 2-year old searching for a marble.

You'll need a glass or clear plastic jar, rice and various TINY treasures.

These are what we found at first... we have been adding to our I-spy Jar all day... the more little items you have, the merrier your little ones will be.
Put the rice and treasures in the jar, making sure to leave an inch or so of space between the top of the rice and the lid as you want the rice to be able to move freely inside the jar.
As your children (to be honest, I hogged it for quite some time today too... it's rather addictive!) turns the jar, the rice falls over itself in the jar, revealing and then covering the hidden treasures.
We play I-spy Jar with K, my 5-year old, in the car too. As I know what's inside the jar, I say... 'Find me an acorn hat.' She LOVES it!
The coins are the hardest to find, so be sure to add a couple. They hide out in the middle of the rice and it is a 'Great Achievement' to spot one!

I love to watch my children playing with a toy we have made together, knowing that they are learning that they can make precious things with their very own hands. And I love that they are learning that toys don't only come from stores but are even more abundant in creative minds.

Fairyfolk blessings and Magic to you!

Labels:

6 Comments:

Blogger FairiesNest said...

What a cool idea! Thanks for sharing!

July 30, 2009 at 10:44 AM  
Blogger mrsbeccijo said...

I love this! We are going to make this today! We will use a recycling jar! Love to give new life to trash!

July 30, 2009 at 10:51 AM  
Blogger D'Andrea (pupapupa) said...

SO great, thanks for sharing!

July 30, 2009 at 7:37 PM  
Blogger moonpathdesigns said...

I love this. I'm definitely doing this with Luna (my almost-2-year-old) this weekend!

July 31, 2009 at 10:02 PM  
Blogger germandolls said...

Our dentist has an old plastic water bottle turned into an "I-Spy-Jar". Even adults love to pick it up and search for stuff...It has helped pass time!Great post!

August 1, 2009 at 6:55 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great post as for me. I'd like to read something more about this topic. The only thing I would like to see on that blog is a photo of some gadget.

January 6, 2010 at 7:42 AM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home