This page has moved to a new address.

Friday Interview

Natural Kids: Friday Interview

Friday, April 24, 2009

Friday Interview


It's time for another Friday interview! This time it's with one of our new team leaders, Dannielle of the shop Princess Nimble Thimble . Dannielle is the head of the Membership committee and has a wonderful shop full of magical little people. So let's get to know her a bit better...

Tell us a little bit about yourself and how and when did you get started with arts and crafts?
I live in St. Louis, MO, with my husband and two children. We're a homeschooling family so my focus tends to be on my children. Creating dolls and toys is, for me, a very natural extension of this focus.

What is the main thing you make and sell in your store? What else do you make and/or sell?
For the past six months or so I've been pretty much making bendy dolls exclusively. I don't know if it's due to the current state of the economy or if they've just caught on but that's where the demand has been. Luckily I never seem to get bored with them.
I also make larger Waldorf-inspired dolls, nature table dolls, felt animals, and I'm working on preparing my felt animal patterns for sale in the near future.

Who if anyone has been instrumental in helping you hone your craft? I suppose I would have to say my husband because he always indulges my desire for more supplies and crafty books.

Where do you get your inspiration? Goodness, I find inspiration so many places. I love a good crafty book. They always get my creative juices flowing. New supplies inspire me, too.
I would have to say my best source of inspiration is my customers. I am sometimes asked to create things that are just outside my comfort zone as well as things that I had never thought to make. My customers have the best ideas!
What are your favorite materials?

I adore wool felt. Hands down it's my favorite material. And, of course, I love my DMC embroidery floss. They just go together and always provide me with endless inspiration.

What advice would you give other Etsy sellers and those interested in opening up a shop?
Goodness, I could go on and on. I'd start with, "Go for it!" for those interested in starting a shop. I suppose I'd end with, "Always put your heart into it, always be completely honest, and always provide excellent customer service.".

What advice would you give to beginners in your main craft?
This advice would really apply to any craft but, "Be patient." is what has served me well. Be patient while your reputation develops and people get to know you. Be patient while you grow in your craft.
If someone is a beginner at making dolls similar to those I make patience is definitely required. They definitely take their fair share of practice in the beginning.

What is your Etsy shop address and name? Where else can we find you? My Etsy shop, Princess Nimble-Thimble, is found at www.PrincessNimbleThimble.com. Right now Etsy is my only venue though I hope to soon join my NaturalKids teammates at our HyenaCart shop, http://hyenacart.com/naturalkids/.

Thanks so much for sharing Dannielle!!
-Cyn
The Fairies' Nest

Labels: , , ,

6 Comments:

Blogger D'Andrea (pupapupa) said...

Great interview Cyn! Nice to get to know you better as well Dannielle, your bendy dolls are beyond sweet!

April 26, 2009 at 8:43 AM  
Blogger germandolls said...

Your little dolls are so sweet, Dannielle! I am always stunned by the detail!

April 27, 2009 at 5:36 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

fun interview- love your bendy dolls!

April 28, 2009 at 2:57 PM  
Blogger ayelet(nishale) said...

Great interview!!!!!!
Love thse little dools! and adore them! they are a whole world!

May 1, 2009 at 6:17 AM  
Blogger Saints and Spinners said...

Dannielle made two lovely dolls commissioned by a friend of ours for our circus class auction project-- a ring-master and a fortune-teller. Dannielle, you may get a kick out of knowing that the person who commissioned them ended up winning the bid for the auction project! It was fitting and poetic.
--Farida (Alkelda on Etsy)

May 2, 2009 at 4:59 PM  
Blogger Kelly Casanova said...

Lovely to read more about your life Dannielle, your dolls are very unique and individual.

May 4, 2009 at 9:35 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home